Fighting between rival forces over Libya's capital that began last week has displaced 2,800 people so far, the U.N. said Monday as the death toll climbed to 49, including civilians.
The U.N. humanitarian coordinator in Libya, Maria do Valle Ribeiro, said the clashes have prevented emergency services from reaching casualties and civilians, and have damaged electricity lines.
The increased violence is also worsening the situation for migrants held in detention centers in the Libyan capital, she warned.
Fighting was underway Monday at Tripoli's shuttered international airport, some 24 kilometers (15 miles) from central Tripoli.
The Health Ministry of the Tripoli-based government said at least 27 people, including civilians, were killed and at least 27 wounded since Thursday, when Hifter forces began their offensive against the capital.
The media office of Hifter's army said 22 of their troops had been killed since the offensive began.
The U.N. envoy for Libya, Ghassan Salame, said he met with Fayez Sarraj, head of the government in Tripoli on Monday to discuss how the U.N. mission "can assist at this critical and difficult juncture."
Source: National News Agency