MANILA, Philippines The Philippines Navy (PN) said on Saturday that it is ready to deploy an "appropriate force package" to help in the rescue of three Filipino engineers kidnapped in Libya.
Jonathan Zata, director for the PN's Naval Public Affairs Office, said in a statement that the navy is preparing for the deployment of a naval team to assist the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) of the Philippines in dealing with the kidnapped Filipinos.
"Pursuant to the directive of the Commander in Chief President Rodrigo Duterte, the Philippine Navy composed of Fleet-Marine component, is planning for the appropriate force package as a response to the kidnapping of three Filipinos in Libya," Zata said in the statement.
The PN said Libyan authorities have been exerting all efforts to identify the abductors and rescue the hostages. For now, the PN said, it is completing the facts on the ground before it decides.
President Duterte said on Friday that he was considering to send the PN's frigate to waters off Libya if the abductors start hurting the Filipino kidnap victims.
"I am not joking. I will also send a frigate there (In Libya) If they begin to hurt the three Filipinos," Duterte said in a speech in Malaybalay City in southern Bukidnon province.
Three Filipinos and a South Korean who worked in a water project site in western Libya were abducted on July 6 by unknown armed men. The kidnappers released a video footage of the four men confirming their names and nationalities, and appealing to their presidents for help.
The DFA has refused to identify the Filipino victims and other details surrounding the case, saying "The case we are dealing with is very sensitive."
South Korea said earlier this week that it had deployed a warship to Libya to provide military support for rescuing the hostages.
Source: NAM NEWS NETRWORK